Home / WAH Equipment
If you have struggled with the thought “What do I need to work from home????” Then this post was made with you in mind. When I first started working from home, I did not have any of these things…so when I finally got my home-based job…I had to rush out and get all these devices and things I just could not live without!
But worry no more. Here is a list of 12 things you absolutely need to work at home!
- Corded Headset – Most companies require you to purchase a corded headset because cordless headsets can be tampered with by hackers. Virtual companies don’t want to take that risk so 99% of the time they require that you purchase a corded headset. I suggest the Plantronics S12 Corded Telephone Headset System since it is accepted by most virtual companies. This is the one I used and it is very popular among the home-based industry. Plantronics is a trusted brand.
- Planner/Calendar – You will need to keep track of your own schedule and availability. This is very important due to the fact that you are working independently. I recommend the NotePro Undated Daily Planner, Black, 200 Pages,11 x 8-1/2 Inches. This planner has over 200 pages and it’s only $16.99 – however at Amazon.com, you can actually get it for a lower price.
- Lockable File Cabinet – Most information you receive will be confidential, such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc. You can’t just leave this stuff around. If someone breaks into your home you will be ultimately responsible for protecting their personal information. Amazon sells a File Cabinet Locking Bar – 4 drawer for just $32.95. Best price I have seen so far online. You have to wonder if your kids will wonder into your home office and walk off with important paper s that you have laying around…and that is why I think this is worth the investment.
- Folders with Labels – You need to be organized as a home-based worker and you need to find things quickly. This will go well with the file cabinet. Amazon has Pendaflex Recycled Standard Green 1/5-Cut Tab Hanging File Folders, 25 per Pack (81602) for around $8.00. This is all you need to complete your file cabinet.
- Fax Machine – I use eFax since it could be installed right away and it saved me a trip to the store. I like eFax because it was convenient and did not clutter my desk. I already have enough going on and having one less piece of equipment on my desk worked best for me.
- Printer and Scanner – you may need to scan a document and send it over or maybe even print something out. I did! My favorite is the Canon, PIXMA MX340, Wireless Office, All-in-One Printer. This is a wireless printer/scanner combination that allow you to print from any location in the house – in my case, right from my bed.
- Comfortable Chair – Believe me, you do not want to sit in an uncomfortable chair for 4 – 5 hours. This was one of my top priorities. It does not have to be fancy, cut a comfortable office chair is a must.You’l regret it later if you don’t get one to begin with.
- Computer/ Laptop – Of course you will need this. Make sure you have at least 1GB of ramto store important information and download the company software.If you already have enough space on your computer, it wouldn’t hurt to add more. I’m sure you’ll be doing more than just working on your computer.
- Notebook and Pens – Always a necessity for jotting things down.The dollar store products worked just fine for me.
- Checking Account or Prepaid Visa – Most likely, you will be receiving you paycheck by direct deposit. Direct Deposits can be added to your checking, savings, or prepaid visa card. I use a prepaid visa to receive all my payments. I felt more secure giving them a prepaid card to route my payments to rather than direct deposit – however direct deposit is still a safe option.
- Extra Phone Line – You will need an extra phone line to receive incoming calls for most virtual companies. It must be a plain old telephone system with no features such caller id, answering service, call-waiting.
- A Babysitter – If you are planning on becoming a customer service rep or a live operator, it would be unprofessional for you to be wiping little Tommy’s noise while taking calls – or changing diapers. I recommend that you find a babysitter that is willing to assist you while taking calls. It’s very important that you have a quiet background because if you don’t they will not tolerate you for long. This is a pet peave for virtual companies.
Hope this helps.