ChaCha is a search engine ran by real people not robots.
ChaCha expeditors receive inquiries from cell phone users and then routes the question to one of their ChaCha experts.
These ChaCha experts are called guides and they answer these specific questions.
A real live person (ChaCha guide) returns the answer to the person’s cell phone.
Breaking it down…
- A person texts a questions to CHACHA (242-242).
- The question is received by a ChaCha expeditor ( the person who routes the question to an ChaCha expert (guide).
- This process normally takes one to two minutes.
ChaCha is available 24 hours a day and is completely free service to use. No question is off-limits when using ChaCha receives a variety of inquiries ranging from topics, such as the weather, sports, driving directions to jokes and stocks. As a guide you can never really be sure what type of question to expect. Some questions my even be offensive – and I have came across many like this.
If you are considering becoming a guide for ChaCha, you have chosen the best time to apply. ChaCha had closed their hiring session due to an overwhelming amount of interested applicants seeking employment with their company. I am assuming this was due to their hiring announcement on Good Morning America. Now that things have died down a nit, they are giving smart savvy people another chance to work with their company.
Requirements and Hiring Process
- You must be 18 years or older and live in the United States.
- The following steps will need to be completed:
- Register as a guide on the chacha.com website by clicking on the become a guide link.
- Answer simple personal questions about yourself and setting a user name and password.
- Watch a few videos to help you become more familiar with what ChaCha (you will be given this information after you register).
- Fill out your W-9 form.
- Take a compatibility assessment test.
- You will receive an email confirmation to inform you if you have passed the assessment. It took them about three days to contact me. So do not worry if you have not heard from them in a day or two.
After you have received the email confirmation, these things will follow:
- ChaCha will prepare you for the readiness test.
- Before taking the test, you will go through orientation and training.
- After you successfully pass the test, your account becomes active as a ChaCha guide.
My Warning to You:
After I passed the initial test, I was very excited to move forward. But here’s my warning to you, you have a lot more to learn than you think so take your time and really go through the training and orientation videos.
The great thing about the ChaCha University (the place where you go to prepare for the readiness test) is that you can watch the videos as many times as you like.
The only thing that I did not like about the training and orientation is that you are not able to do a real practice.
Your ultimate test will include taking live questions and answering them in a timely manner. Some questions may need to be cleaned up before answering, such as misspellings, etc.
In the University, they tell you all of these things and even show you how to perform the required actions, however you will not be able to try these things until you take the live test.
Most likely, you will get nervous on your first question and your time will run out…like it did for me…but no worries you will have 9 more questions to answer.
Once you get to that 3rd question you will be on a roll answering inquiries.
Here are some tips for the live test.
- Try to answer the question correctly rather than rushing to beat the clock. ChaCha wants to know if you have what it takes to deliver accurate answers back to their customers. I am not saying take all day to answer the question but take the time to answer them correctly.
If you have heard enough about the company and would like to apply, you can do so at http://becomeaguide.chacha.com . Please let them know I referred you by entering my email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
How and how much do I get paid?
This has been highly debated by ChaCha guides. The payrate per inquiry depends on your role and current contests.
The money earned is based on a share of a dedicated compensation pool, and guides are credited the last business day of the following month.
Contests are also available to boost points and encourage competition.
There are different roles as a guide.
Here are some current pay rates for different roles at ChaCha.
- The Transcriber Role and Pay Rate:
- The transcriber is responsible for listening to audio files and transcribing the audio into a text version.
- The transcriber pay rate is normally $0.04 per query.
- The Expeditor Role and Pay Rate:
- The expeditor (the role I do) is responsible for categorizing the question and sending it an expert (specialist) to return an answer.
- The transcriber pay rate is normally $0.02 per query.
The amount you are paid per minute depends on how fast you are at answering or expediting the questions.
If you answer
- three questions per minute, you will be paid $0.06 per minute. six cents per minute times sixty minutes is equal to $3.60/hour.
- six questions per minute, you will be paid $0.12 per minute, twelve cents per minute times sixty is equal to $7.20/hour.
Not a lot of money – but if you are doing this while watching your favorite TV episode on television – then I think it is well worth the time.
- You can log on at anytime to take live questions from customers. ChaCha provides a website that allows you to choose if you are “available” or “away” to take calls.
- You can connect with other guides via the forum where they share complaints, tips and build friendships.
- You can return to the ChaCha University at anytime to freshen up on previous training and lessons from the past. From time to time they also provide new training material.
- Available tech support.
- You will receive daily emails from ChaCha to let you know about their power hours, tips, new training material, your performance review, current contests, and when there is a high volume of inquiries.
- You choose to work when you want to. There is not a set time schedule for you to follow.
- After officially becoming a guide for chacha, they will expect you to answer the questions correctly and in a timely manner.
- If your answer is not satisfactory according to their rules and guidelines you will not be paid for that particular query.
- If you continue to answer question in an incorrect format, ChaCha will send you are warning to your email account and advise you to look over your training material once again.
There are two ways to get paid by ChaCha.
- By setting up a free account with First Internet Bank. They will send you a visa card that will be used to deposit all your funds. This option allows you to instantly receive your cash rather than waiting until the end of the month. There is a $2.00 processing fee for using this option. You can withdraw at anytime.
- They will deposit income into your personal checking account (monthly).
- Set aside a time of the day that works best for you. It may be during TV time at 9 p.m. or when your kids are taking their daily nap. Try and check in everyday around the same time. Be consistent.
- Set a daily amount goal. Decide on the amount of money you want to make per day. Then, break that amount down into hours. Decide on how many queries you will have to take to earn that amount per hour. Using this method, you will most likely reach your goal for the day.
- People who get bored easily. In order to make money with ChaCha you must be consistent. If not, you will find that you are not making as much money as you would like.
- People who are holding their children while on the computer. Holding a child would make taking inquires from ChaCha very difficult.
- People who need a little extra money on the side.
- People who want to be productive while watching TV or passing time.
Overall, I think that ChaCha is a great way to assist your already existing income. I would not expect to earn a full-time job income going into this, however it is enough to pay some bills or pay for your gas a few times a week. It really depends on your consistency and speed. If you can commit yourself to doing this once a day, you can expect to see some constant money rolling in.
As an expediter, I love my position. I have been working with ChaCha for a while and I find it to be fun and challenging. I have made money through them. They have paid me. It’s really an easy way to make money on the side from home.
I added this photo due to a comment made on this article. Here is proof of my ChaCha debit card…
If you are ready to get started, please visit their site @ http://becomeaguide.chacha.com . You are by no means obligated to tell them I referred you but it would be nice if you chose to do so. Just enter my email: email@example.com when they asked who referred you.